How to improve sleep quality naturally is the topic for this week’s blog post. For the sleep-deprived, sleep may be elusive. How much sleep should we get? Is there a magic number of hours that will lead to optimum health and happiness? The answer is that it’s different for everyone. However, if you are experiencing any amount of sleep deprivation, you’re not doing your body (and brain) any favours. Sleep has many benefits like stress relief and recovery from physical activity. Here are 6 tips on how to improve sleep quality naturally without spending too much time in bed!
6 tips on how to improve sleep quality naturally
- Turn off the lights and electronics at least an hour before bed. This will help your body naturally wind down. Studies show that looking at your phone or computer before sleep can lead to poorer quality sleep.
- Stick to a sleep schedule – Try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. This can help reset your circadian rhythm, your body’s sleep cycle which can help you fall asleep faster.
- Keep your bedroom cool- Temperatures in the bedroom should be between 16°C and 18°C, so many people may have trouble getting comfortable in a hot and humid environment, causing them to have a restless night. So, keep it cool for an optimal snooze.
- Exercise during the day rather than right before bed so you have time for restful recovery. Aerobic exercise causes the body to release endorphins. These chemicals can create a level of activity in the brain that keeps some people awake. Individuals should exercise at least 2 to 3 hours before going to sleep, allowing endorphin levels to dissipate and the brain time to relax.
- Try not to drink alcohol or caffeine after 2 pm in order to avoid disrupting your sleep cycle. Due to its sedative properties, alcohol may aid in sleep onset, allowing you to fall asleep more quickly. When people drink before bed, they often experience disruption in their sleep cycles later on due to the metabolization of alcohol by the liver. This can also lead to excessive sleepiness during the day and other issues the following day.
- Create a relaxing environment with scented candles, calming music, and low lighting. Darken your bedroom to signal your body that it is time to get sleepy.
Improve sleep quality naturally
Sleep has many benefits and although you might not be able to control all of the factors that affect sleep quality, there are plenty of things you can do. The next time you’re faced with challenges like poor sleep habits. I hope you find these tips on how to improve sleep quality naturally helpful! Remember that sleep is important for health and happiness. If you’re struggling with sleep quality, check-in with your doctor to see what might be causing the problem. Everyone deserves a good night’s sleep!